Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Serious Films About Anguished People

Some more questions asked in the comments of this post:

"How do you know when to quit and walk away?" (from DianneorDi)

I don't. I just find that I become less and less interested in something and/or another idea starts burning all the writing oxygen. This happens fairly often with short stories--I just sort of wander off. Years later I look at the fragment and think, Damn that's good! I should finish that! and then...I never do. Most of the time I'm pretty sure there's a good reason for walking away but I don't bother hunting it down. I trust my subconscious. Besides, my airspace is already jammed with novel ideas, circling like planes running out of fuel. I can only land one at a time.

"Have you seen Watchmen, and if so, what did you think? If not, are you even interested in seeing it, and if not interested, why?

Another...would you care to share a list of your 'Serious Films with Anguished People'? I don't know why this makes me giggle about you, and the fact that you capitalize each word as if it should be a book/movie title itself is giggle inducing enough all on it's own!

And then, maybe you could express your personal thoughts on why you don't care for those types of flicks. I for one, highly enjoy them, but for some reason it just makes me again, giggle like a school girl to hear you refer to them in this way..." (from Realmcovet)

Nope, haven't seen Watchmen. The trailers and reviews persuaded me it would be a mess. I expect to watch it on DVD at some point, but I'm not in a rush.

No no no, not *my* Serious Films About Anguished People. I loathe those things, such as Lost in Translation and Happy Go Lucky. They are confused, self-indulgent, etiolated, narcissistic neuroticisms and I want nothing to do with them.

Sadly, Kelley sometimes likes them. Sometimes (thank you, baby Jesus) she doesn't. We sat through Happy Go Lucky a few days ago and agreed it was the most pointless exercise we've had the misfortune to behold. A doughnut of a film: no there there, just a giant hole. Deeply vapid. No substance whatsoever: no story, no character arc, no joy, no excitement. Nothing. As provocative as a turnip. No, that insults turnips (which are very tasty roasted). HGL was more like iceberg lettuce that some talentless dimwit mistook for a vegetable of substance and steamed: a limp, slimy mess. I'd much rather see Galaxy Quest or Die Hard: lives hang in the balance, shit blows up, there are some jokes.

Life is short. Eat popcorn and watch someone get their head wacked off with a sword. Woo hoo!
_________________

If you have questions to ask or topics you'd like me to address, send me email at asknicola2 at nicolagriffith dot com or add a comment here.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print