Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Water roads in Anglo-Saxon Britain

If ever you doubted the importance of water to communications and power in Anglo-Saxon England take a look at this map. I haven't a clue of its date* (after Hild's time; I found it on the Toast), but it gives a window into the relationship between navigable rivers and coastlines and important/fortified settlements.

I spent many hours today searching for some sort of map--a sketch would do--of the Tyne**, its estuarine channels, and Arbeia as Hild might have known it. Obviously something from the seventh century would be ideal, but I'll settle for anything from the first millennium CE.

Anyone?

* See comments below: it's by Matthew Paris and made in the 13th century.
This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print