Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Hild comps competition

Well, the world went mad last week but I think I've kept up with most reviews. If you have compared Hild in a review to any writer you don't see listed below, please drop a comment with link.

So, back to our wee competition. In addition to the previously listed Hilary Mantel, Sigrid Undset, T.H. White, George R.R. Martin, Ellis Peters, Rosemary Sutcliff, J.R.R. Tolkien, whoever wrote Beowulf, the person to whom we attribute the Arthur legends, Seamus Heaney, and Marion Zimmer Bradley, we can now add: Roger Deakin, Robert Macfarlane, Rudyard Kipling, Frank Herbert, Ursula K. Le Guin, Alison Weir, and Umberto Eco.

That makes the count, by number and gender (male pseudonyms count as men, female as women):

18 total: 2 undeclared, 6 women, 10 men
That is, unless we also count Marguerite Yourcenar, Mary Renault, Robert Graves, Gore Vidal, and Kim Stanley Robinson who have all been mentioned but I'm not entirely sure count as direct comparisons. If they are then the count is:
23 total: 2 undeclared, 8 women, 13 men
I'll decide before I close the count at Thanksgiving and award the signed book to the winner then. I imagine I'll continue to keep count, though, just for my own amusement.
This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print