Thursday, August 15, 2013

Lovely review in Kirkus

I don't know who reviewed it, but someone at Kirkus liked Hild:

A book that deserves a place alongside T.H. White, to say nothing of Ellis Peters. Elegantly written—and with room for a sequel.
Which means that I've now seen Hild compared to books by Hilary Mantel, Sigrid Undset, T.H. White, George R.R. Martin, Ellis Peters, and Rosemary Sutcliff. That's six, so far. I wonder how many comps I'll have by the time this book comes out in November...

Maybe we should start a pool. Any bets on gender division (currently: 66/33 or 50/50, depending on whether you go with the sex of the author or the gender of the pseudonym)? Any bets on the number by, say, Thanksgiving? (That is, a fortnight after publication.)

Put your best guess in a comment. I'll mail a signed copy of Hild to the winner. I'll mail it anywhere in the world. With any luck it will be with you, or the recipient of your choice, by the holidays.

Print

17 comments:

  1. Twenty. I don't have a bet on gender breakdown, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going with 14 in total. 9 male names or pseudonyms and 5 female names or pseudonyms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. N. To your old and true fans, these don't come as a surprise. They do come as welcomed praise for very good work. You got it, kid, now go ahead and enjoy it!!!W

    ReplyDelete
  4. 18, with a 50/50 split on true gender. As a new fan of yours and a medieval history wonk, I'm looking forward to reading Hild!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to enter my own guess: I'm going to go with 13, 7 women (or female pseudonyms) and 6 men (or male pseudonyms). But:

    a) my own name as comparison will not be included (so "Hey, I see a lot of Nicola Griffith in this book" doesn't count)
    b) I don't need the book so if I win, it will go to the proud owner of the next closest guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 17 in total - 10 men and 7 women (or pseuds with corresponding gender)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ten (trying a conservative guess), with a 7/3 split women/men.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say... around 25, with a split about 55/35/10 female/male/anon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll consider that to be 14 women, 9 men, 2 undeclared.

      Delete
  9. Hello! My guess is:

    11 women
    10 men
    3 undeclared

    Total: 24

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My guess: 17
    3 undeclared
    6 women
    8 men

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm guessing:
    21 total
    10 men
    7 women
    4 undeclared

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your men v. women ratio might prove more accurate than my guess...

    ReplyDelete