Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

My portrait is finished

Riva Lehrer's portrait of me is finished (for a long, ruminative explanation of the project, read this post). Unframed, it measures 32 x 44 inches. Its formal title is MIRROR SHARDS: NICOLA/SNOW LEOPARD.

Riva sent me some snaps. Professional photos and, with luck, some video to follow. I'm really looking forward to the video; it'll be easier to see how three-dimensional the whole thing is. There are three layers. Take a look:

I don't know what kind of frame it will have (ETA, from Riva: "The frame will be a simple dark grey painted oak, 3" deep to accommodate the pins") or what paper Riva used but I know there are at least three kinds, and special pins, and feathers...

At some point next year, if all goes well, we hope to do an event together in Chicago and have the portrait on show. I've no idea of details. Maybe I'll read from Hild; maybe it will be just me and Riva talking about the picture and the process, about how it is for an artist from one medium to collaborate with an artist from another. (A bit like working with someone from another dimension: really fucking interesting.) Whatever we decide--whoever chooses to fund/host the event--I can pretty much guarantee there will be Champagne. Stay tuned.

I don't know if Riva has a buyer yet (I'm doing this just for the sheer curiosity of seeing myself through another artist's eyes). So if you're interested, get in touch.

Meanwhile, here are the snaps. Enjoy.







This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print