Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

How is publishing change treating you?

Via PW: Amazon just announced that it now sells more Kindle books than paper books:

Since April 1, Amazon says it has sold 105 Kindle books for every 100 print books, soft or hardcover, including print titles that do not have Kindle editions. The figures do not include free Kindle titles.

Change isn't coming, change is here. We're in it.

My publishing career is stirring strangely and threatening to turn into a wild ride. I've been negotiating two deals that please me--details when they're finalised. They could turn out to be just what I need--or, y'know, not. Sometimes you have to just throw the dice and make the bet. But, hey, life isn't boring.

Right now, the trickiest thing for me isn't lack of opportunity, it's an embarrassment of riches in terms of choice. But each opportunity is so different, each with its own variables: prestige vs. money; money now vs. money later; short term vs. long; risky vs. relatively safe; new paradigm vs. old; just writing vs. full-bore entrepreneurship.

And that's just the fiction. My head feels quite bulgy these days.

How about you? How's your ride? Scary? Exciting? Satisfying? Confusing? I'd love to hear from writers, readers, booksellers, editors, agents, critics, publishers, publicists: everyone involved in the book biz. Let's talk.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print