Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Kindred

Last night, I watched the first episode of Kindred. I hadn't seen it since it first aired in 1996, just a couple of months after we'd moved into our house in Wallingford. I remembered it as being bad but, oh dear god, I forgotten how bad. The acting sucked. (Apart from Mark Wotsisname--the English actor who played Julian.) The writing--well, 'As you know, Bob' doesn't cover it. (Sometime in the first three minutes one of the characters--the worst, really, the cop, who, sadly, was meant to be the star of the show--said to his buddy, "Have I left anything out?" and Kelley and I both shouted, gleefully, "Not really!")

It was Vampire Dynasty with cheese topping. Add in the weird side-slide smear and audio thump-and-crackle of VHS and you get an idea of what we went through for an hour. Yep, a whole hour. We were mesmerised by it's horribleness: little mongeese watching a tacky toothless cobra swaying side to side with its wig slipping. Blimey.

If there isn't a burn ban here in Seattle tomorrow, we might ritually incinerate the tape.

What was the worst thing you've seen this year?

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print