Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Making a book from Wikipedia articles



(Via GalleyCat)

Yep, lots of videos this week. But they're all so interesting... Anyway, this notion of being able to make POD book from wiki articles is a very, very cool idea, something I'll probably use when I start collating research for Hild II and III. (I hate reading onscreen, and when pondering non-fiction like to flip back and forth, write in the margin, etc. Which is still easier on paper than with my Kindle.) Perhaps when I have a first draft of Hild, I'll make a book of some* of the research that readers might find helpful--then sell it online, with 10% of the proceeds going to the Wikimedia Foundation.

*Most of my research is done with hideously expensive academic texts, but Wikipedia will probably be enough to fill in the background for most casual readers. And for those who really get into it, I'll probably put an extensive bibliography online closer to publication.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print