Pages

Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday audio: Corner for You

Yesterday was the nineteenth anniversary of me coming to live with Kelley in this country. You've already heard the sappy song I wrote and sang for her while we were apart, so I won't put that one up again. But for those who like that sort of thing, here's another song about lurve, "Corner for You."








(direct link)

The song, brief as it is (4:44), has a convoluted history. (What doesn't?) I wrote the lyrics as a poem when I was 17, madly in love with my first girlfriend, Una, and aware, dimly, that I was losing her. I wrote about this in And Now We Are Going to Have a Party. That story is one of two readings from the memoir that I have on video. Here it is:


(Video by David Wulzen. For the other video, see this post.)

Then, in 1982, when I was 21, the band I was in, Janes Plane, turned the poem into a song. I have a live recording of that on a battered old cassette tape. I keep meaning to transfer it to digital, but everytime I remember, I can't find the old boombox to play the tape. I'll get to it at some point. (And, oh, you'll be sorry. It was a terrible performance by the band. I was sick as a dog--I literally had to keep leaving the stage to throw up--and the drummer's kit kept breaking and the guitarist's tuning pegs losing their integrity.) For now, though, what I have is another version recorded on an old boombox (not the same one that's in my loft--no, the English one was even more primitive) by me and the guitarist, Jane, when I was 22 or 23.

"Corner for You" is a hopelessly melodramatic and angsty teen soon about love and loss and I like it anyway.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print