Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

win a lot, lose a lot

Obama won. I drank (James Bonds) and ate (gaucamole, hummus, spaghetti bolognese) more than was strictly necessary. Didn't get to sleep until nearly 3 am because my head was full. African Americans have gone from 0 to 60 in just over forty years. In political terms, that's better than a Maserati. Yay! Let's hope the acceleration continues.

But California's Proposition 8 passed. Lesbians and gay men are still second-class citizens. For now we still have to sit at the back of the bus and drink from a separate water fountain--and in some states there are no water fountains for us at all.

So today I'm suffering a heavy dose of anticlimax. I am delighted, truly pleased, that Obama won. I am miserable, deeply unhappy, that Proposition 8 (and other ballot measures in Arizona and Florida) passed.

My hope now lies in the Northeast (uh-oh, I think I've been watching too much Lord of the Rings *g*), where I think there will soon be a same-sex marriage corridor from Vermont to New Jersey. And there will be lawsuits in California. Go Gloria Allred!

I'm looking forward to what happens in the next few weeks.

Any bets on what role Hillary Clinton will or won't be offered, what she might or might not accept?

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print