Pages

Friday, April 4, 2008

pretty good

From: kt good (doubledog2u@yahoo.com)

I heard your interview. It was pretty good (not too short.) I have been working for seven years on a documentary about being queer in america & another one on being in a committed G/L relationship. I can't get anybody to give me a glance. Could I send you a copy to watch with Kelley on a cozy evening and maybe give me some feedback and any idea or a clue about how to get a distributor? You have a new reader. How little we all know of each other.

Do you mean the KUOW interview or the TTBOOK interview? They're rather different. Apart from the subject matter, for one I was stoned, and for the other I wasn't :)

I am utterly clueless about the film/tv industries; I'm not convinced I'd be much use to you. Why don't you post a chunk on YouTube or MySpace and get feedback that way? (I'll watch it and comment on it here if you send me a link.)

YouTube has become an essential tool when it comes to marketing. But I'm all talk and no trousers on this issue. I've known for a long time that I need to get some video clips out there but, well, I just haven't bothered. The reasons are various.

First of all, once I've finished a novel--spent years writing, a year rewriting, slaved over editorial revisions, been through the copy edits, corrected the proofs, worked with the editor on getting blurbs, with the art director on the cover, and the publicist on The Message--I begin to get a bit restless. I want to work on something new. Yet there are still guest blogs, interviews, and book shop appearances to do. (I love the appearances thing. Love reading from my work. Love talking to readers.) Three months after the hardcover publication, I simply can't face talking about the book anymore. So by the time the paperback publication comes around, I'm all tapped out. I'm also working on a new project--which, without fail, I think is the best thing since sliced bread and magic mushrooms (this time, of course, it really is ).

But that's not the real reason. The real reason is that I'm a good performer but a crap actor. I can't image setting up a camera and three or four lights and then just...talking. Oh, I'd be delighted if someone came along and interviewed me on camera, or filmed a bookshop appearance, because that would be different. But they never have. I'm hoping, at some point, to do something for And Now We Are Going to Have a Party, my memoir, because P&S, the publisher, are willing to set it all up for me. Until then, no video for me.


This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print