Pages

Friday, May 31, 1996

Written on the Body, The Awakening

From: anonymous

Do you see anything romantic about Written on the Body? What do you think of Chopin's The Awakening? Do you see romantic motifs there? How would you compare the two novels together? I'm looking forward to reading some of your books. Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Written On The Body, by Jeannette Winterson, is, in my opinion, a romance. It is also sentimental and manipulative. As for the Chopin, it's been so long since I read it I wouldn't begin to dream of doing a compare-and-contrast. It sounds to me as though you like me to write some kind of essay or term paper for you. That's not what this Ask Nicola section is for. (Next time you could at least have the grace to pretend you've read something I've written...)

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print