Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

25 years later, the Supreme Court gets it right

Then and now (photo on right courtesy Jennifer Durham)
I met and fell in love with Kelley 25 years ago today.

And this morning, the Supreme Court of the United States struck down Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, which means that if you are, or become, legally married to a person of the same sex in a state in the US, you are entitled to federal benefits. (In Proposition 8 the defendant was ruled to have no standing, that is, Prop 8 is now invalidated without any intervention by SCOTUS. Same-sex marriage is now legal for lesbians and gay men in California, but the decision has no further ramifications.) Both decisions were 5-4 (I'd hoped for 6-3) but, hey, I'll take it because the rest--full, nationwide marriage equality--will now follow, inevitably as the phases of the moon.

It may take some years, though. So if you're queer and in a hurry, I advise you to move to a more friendly state.

I'm now going to rejoin my sweetie and get down to some serious enjoyment. We're going to have a fabulous day. I hope you do, too.
This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print