Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Galactic Suburbia and freelance award design

My inaugural Galactic Suburbia Award arrived in the mail yesterday. It came wrapped in a lovely red and black ribbon:

I unwrapped it and admired it for a couple of minutes:

It has my name on the bit at the bottom, that you can't see, because, hey, I'm not a careful photographer and there had Been Wine that evening. Perhaps because There Had Been Wine, I thought she looked sort of lonely. I decided she might like company, so I put her in the corner of the Alisha Baker room (a/k/a the TV room), along with Clementine. Clementine, as you can see, is of superior height, so I put my prize (she does not yet have a name) on what is usually a candlestick holder:

Here's a close-up:

I'm hoping she'll be happy. She is certainly getting more fresh air than all my other awards (which are stuffed in cupboards and boxes and attics in various people's houses). I love winning awards but, frankly, I never know what to do with them. I wish more people made decorative and/or useful things. I'd really like, for example, some hardy, beautiful doorstops, and book ends, and sculpture for the garden, perhaps something to hang on the wall in the kitchen, or use as a trivet (a handsome tile--waterproof, greaseproof, heatproof).

Anyone out there doing freelance award design?

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print