Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Washington state senate votes Yes on marriage equality

This evening the Washington State Senate voted 28-21 for marriage equality. The House will most probably vote early next week. Most observers are confident the bill will become law. And that is when the fun begins: right-wingers will scramble to get a referendum to take marriage equality away before the law can go into effect. There will be name-calling, and mud-flinging, and sad insults hurled. But I'd like to celebrate, for now, the civilised behaviour of our Washington legislators:

After the session adjourned, Sen. Ed Murry said he had anticipated 27 votes, so getting 28 votes was a “pleasant” surprise.

“I was moved by my colleagues' courage, and the tone of the debate was one of the best I’ve seen in 17 years in the Legislature,” Murray said.

It would be a great gift for everyone if that could continue.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print