Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Lame wall of shame

A while ago I wrote a rant, Lame is so gay, about why using 'lame' as an insult is not cool. But for months now I've been immersed in Hild and haven't been paying much attention to the world. However, my agent now has the book, so I'm catching up.

This morning this caught my eye, a piece from MSNBC's Technolog, written by Helen A. S. Popkin:

Don't you just hate it when your lame friends and/or family members email you links to Hipster Mermaid or Damn You Auto Correct or the Crazy Nastya** Honey Badger or some other ancient meme, website or viral video you saw, like 10 million years ago?

As an editor I would have improved this sentence in several ways, not least of which would be to substitute a non-discriminatory word (clueless would be perfect) for this insult. I encourage Helen Popkin to try harder. If you feel like encouraging her, too, feel free to add a comment to the Technolog piece. (Sadly, it wouldn't let me leave a link.)

If you see any other egregious instances, please send me a link. I think it might be interesting to do a regular roundup, a Lame Wall of Shame.


This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print