Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

From Ur or Roman Britain?

Here's a guessing game for you. Is this jar Roman (from first century Britain) or is it from the ancient city of Ur? It was found in pieces in a store room full of stuff that could be from either place. Experts haven't a clue. They also have no idea what it was used for. Storing dormouse snacks? Snakes for religious purposes? (Yep, these are serious suggestions...)

I looked at it and thought: incense. But then why would there be a hole in the base? And why are the holes, which are beautifully cut, so oddly arranged? I can't make it make sense. Which will drive me insane. So: save my brain, solve this for me! What could this jar have been used for?

Even bizarre suggestions gratefully accepted.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print