Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What I'm reading next

Today Kelley brought home the best haul from the library in an age. I'm itching to get stuck into this pile of reading:

  • Human Chain, Seamus Heaney (I can't remember the last time I read some good poetry.)
  • A Taste For Death, Peter O'Donnell (Why is it so hard to find the Modesty Blaise books? I want to own these, but the only place I could find it was the library.)
  • On Writing, Stephen King (I don't normally read this kind of thing but I've heard such good things about it I think it's time to gracefully give in.)
  • The World of Trees, Hugh Johnson (Ooh, big luscious pictures of trees.)
  • The Fever: How Malaria Has Ruled Humankind for 500,000 Years, Sonia Shah (Because, y'know, disease is interesting.)

Also on my TBR pile:

  • Woodlands, Oliver Rackham (Just started this: excellent analysis of how woodland works. Also not a library book; I just couldn't resist it.)
  • Aerotropolis: The Way We'll Live Next, John D. Kasarda and Greg Lindsay (Read the sample chapter on Kindle, fell in love, and begged for a free copy from the publisher--it's on its way. Read something about it here.)
  • Queen of Kings, Maria Dahvana Headley (An advance reading copy. Which, again, I begged for--because, hey, monsters, witches, battles, magic, Cleopatra...)

The eagle-eyed among you will see a movie in the spread: Star Trek. After reading poetry, woodland analysis, and all about Plasmodium falciparum, this will, I think, be a nice change of pace. (Here's my review from opening day).

Anything you're looking forward to reading?

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print