Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Low key 'r' us

The last couple of weeks have been...interesting. Good in many ways--the weather, the company, some publishing stuff I'll talk about when I can--but not great in others.

The biggest annoyance is that, for the first time in a few years, my MS has gone live. What this means is that I feel as though someone has pulled the plug and my energy has poured away, run away, gone. It's not the kind of tired that can be cured by a good night's sleep. It's the kind of tired that has to be managed very, very carefully. As a result, I've been cancelling social and business meetings left and right, and pushing back what I can. If I've promised you something, please expect delays. How long? No idea--that's the nature of the beast.

One of the things that happens when I'm first coming down with this kind of fatigue--when I think it's just I've-been-doing-too-much ordinary tiredness--is that my brain retreats and tends towards the non-verbal. That's the place I've been in the last few days, which is why the posts around here have been a bit thin on the ground. My guess is that if I lounge about for another few days, and if the sun keeps shining, I'll get better rapidly. So expect some long, juicy posts either late next week or early the week after. There's so much I want to say: about plot and publishing, book community, story, clothes and shopping (that will most probably be a rant), why the new Nikita is so very crap, and unicorns. (Really.)

For now, though, I'm going to spend the day thinking about Hild, drinking tea, and eating a delicious chicken with root vegetables stew made by the beauteous Kelley. For a little while, low key 'r' us.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print