Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

If I were a publisher

If I were a publisher, I think I would be taking the same non-committal approach to ebook pricing as Random House. According to Roger Theriault at True/Slant, Madeline McIntosh, the President of Sales, Operations, and Digital at RH says

[P]ublishers “have no real experience at setting retail prices.” She also revealed that one of the reasons Random House had not been party to the iBook Store at launch was because of the pricing issues.

In regards to delayed releasing of ebooks, McIntosh said, “Our current policy is we release e-books at the same time as physical books,” followed by “I haven’t been convinced that it’s good for the author or consumer to delay the release. My fear is that the consumer who has fully embraced the technology will buy another e-book that is available or lose interest altogether. What if I train the consumer that the best scenario is to get it free?

(via Richard Curtis)

Just saying. (Don't know why I'm saying it, don't know what I'm talking about? Start here.)

I have some thoughts on piracy and pricing and distribution models that I'll get to one of these fine days but I'm still up to my neck in other things, so that will have to wait. Meanwhile, go read these nifty links for writers over at Sterling Editing.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print