Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Obama's HRC speech, my line in the sand

I'm gradually recovering--a bit better every day, still a way to go--from Whirling World. Meanwhile for you delectation and delight (or irritation, or amusement), here is Barack Obama's speech to HRC, conveniently chopped into three parts:







So, what do you think? I think first of all: Whoa, what a bunch of white people; HRC needs to look to its recruitment strategies. Then I think: we'll be rid of DOMA and DADT by about 2011. I think a federal domestic partnership will follow some time later. Some time after that, we'll be able to call it 'marriage'. But that will be a while.

Meanwhile, I'm serving anyone who lives in the state of Washington with this notice: if I find that you did not vote in November, for any reason (hospitalisation of you or your immediate family, or apocalyptic interventions such as an earthquake over 6.8 on the Richter scale, excepted), you are no longer welcome in my home, real or virtual. Referendum 71 is my line in the sand. It matters. If you can't be bothered to vote on something that impacts my life directly, I don't care to know you. No, I will not ask you how you voted (though the correct answer, just in case you're not feeling too bright today, is I voted Yes on Referendum 71). But I will not abide someone who doesn't care.

I hope that's clear. I won't change my mind.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print