Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

all you need to know to restart civilisation

Last night I was catching up on my reading and came across a snippet in the New Scientist: the winners in a competition to invent the books the world needs most. Top of the list was a suggestion by Gisli Bjorn Heimisson of Iceland, for a compendium of the skills necessary to restart civilisation after the apocalypse.

So I thought we could play a game. Let's build that book. What skills should be in it? Making fire. Making bricks. Keeping pigs. How to sow, weed, cut, thresh etc. wheat. How to skin and gut small animals. How to sow harvest prepare and use flax/linen. How to spin and weave wool. How to make books and ink. And--to me--of vital importance, all you need to know about building sewage and irrigation systems.

What else? What would we need to rebuild civilisation?

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print