Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

what have I been up to?

I'm not going to tell you. Yet. But I've been up to a lot of things, including working with Kelley on a super cool New Thing. If all goes according to plan, we'll be telling you all about that next Tuesday.

Another huge chunk of my time has been consumed with LLF stuff. I hope to be able to start talking about that one day, but, as we say in our house, "Today is not that day."

So what can I tell you about? Well, I've been happily working on Hild. And, for your delectation and delight, here (drumroll) is your first peek: a 1,000-word chunk of what I wrote yesterday. Edwin, Hild's uncle, has just survived an assassination attempt. He was saved by Hild's childhood companion, Cian, who is a newly-minted gesith (warrior). Hild has made an accidental prophecy and is now under suspicion. (Everyone is under suspicion; he's a king in dangerous times.) Paulinus is an ambitious Roman Bishop out to convert the Angles and get himself a pallium from the Pope. Eormenric is his amanuensis. Breguswith is Hild's mother. (Some of these are actual historical figures; some are purely imaginary. Have fun figuring out which is which.)

A lot of it will be impenetrable (because there's 95,000 words before this) but, eh, I just wanted to give you a little present, something to compensate for being so necessarily mysterious about so many things at the moment. This is absolutely brand spanking new. (Not even Kelley has seen it yet.) Enjoy.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print