Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2009

around midnight

I'm writing this around midnight. All the windows are open. I smell bluebells and mown grass. In the ravine the tree frogs are creaking. It's a beautiful evening. Tomorrow, though, it will rain.

Still, today I spent an hour sitting on the deck in the sun--reading a paper about fampridine (aka 4-aminopyridine aka 4-AP) published recently in The Lancet. (Sadly, you need a subscription to read the whole article, but here's the abstract.)

It's an interesting lesson in capitalism. 4-AP has been around in generic form for years. If (when, assuming I can clear up a few scary questions about alcohol use and seizures) I persuade my neurologist to prescribe it, I'll get the local pharmacy to compound it for me. It will cost about $50 a month. Fampridine-SR, on the other hand, will probably sell for about $1,000 a month.

But, hey, that's a detail for dreary daylight. Right now the treefrogs are singing...

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print