Pages

Friday, May 15, 2009

AN: a question of love

From: Shereta

The topics you intend to explore for your next story sound very interesting. I would slightly disagree with your description of love causing decision making to become subordinate to hormones, though biologically that may seem accurate. However, holistically it's more a matter of one type of decision making - one on a higher plane of consciousness taking over. I have read all of your novels (minus the memoir) and have enjoyed them all tremendously. I am very intrigued by the change and growth that occurs with your characters especially in light of your own views on spirituality – I am assuming from various interviews that you are atheist. I wouldn’t describe myself as atheist although I certainly do not subscribe to any established religions. I am a graduate of MIT so I clearly have a high appreciation for science and reason, but I have also (through various life experiences) have come to appreciate more esoteric knowledge. I believe that love is a great paradox and that to know it’s true meaning is to know your true self and to know God (or what’s been labeled as such and mistaken as so many other things). I guess I don’t really have a question per se, I just wanted to share that with you and thank you for your body of work. I also happen to live Atlanta (one of the few actually born and raised here) so your descriptions of the city in The Blue Place were also very enjoyable. It’s always interesting to see familiar things through the eyes of others and discover them all over again.

Happy writing with the new story.

If you're looking for a label I'm more of an agnostic than an atheist. I've never bothered to spend time figuring out exactly what I do and don't believe--though if I had to pick a religion I'd go for Science. Frankly, I think god is in our biochemistry. Belief in god probably stems from evolving as prey animals.

Love and decision-making. Eh. I think the full, first flush of love drives us insane. (Believe me, I've been there. Three times.) In a good way. But a screenplay I want to write will explore what happens if the person in love has the fate of the world resting on their shoulders. Should be fun (twirls evil mustachios...).

I am having fun writing this story. I'm still not sure if it'll work. So much depends on being able to blend eroticism with tricky POV stuff (without it looking in any way tricky). I think this might be the first time I've written a keep-a secret-from-the-protagonist story. It's cool to still have things to learn.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print