Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2008

interrobang?!

I learnt a new word the other day: interrobang. It means '?!' Apparently, printers call an exlamation point a bang, so if you add an interrogative point, or question mark, you get interrobang. Here's a list of other nifty words that might be new to you. I didn't know caruncula, and I didn't even know there *was* a word, muselets, for the wire cage over the cork on a champagne bottle. Exceedingly useful, that.

Anyway, the article got me thinking about words I like: luscious is a particular favourite--but so is mine :) One word I've never liked is limpid. I know it means clear, transparent (etc.), but I can't get past 'limp', which prompts images of things dead or dying, which leads me to beginning to rot, which in turn leads to murky, cloudy, and somewhat stinkous: pretty much the opposite of clear and transparent.

How about you? What words do and don't work?

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print