Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tiny Tim: Prisoner of Love

Until I started playing ukulele I'd never heard of Tiny Tim. I was surprisingly okay with that. But now I've discovered that Kelley's stepfather, Art Woodbury, played with him on a Russ Columbo tribute album. Proof above.

Of course, I'd never heard of Russ Columbo, either. Having listened to the first couple of tracks I find I'm pretty much okay with that, too. (The band, of course, are fine. Art's played with just about everybody. Tiny Tim, though, is an acquired taste that I failed to acquire.) But, hey, listen for yourself.

Then, as a palate cleanser, go watch the video of another of Art's played-with-them-once musician friends, Blue Cheer, the first speed metal hair band.

Print

4 comments:

  1. Tiny Tim came to my attention on TV's Laugh-In way back when. I could do a pretty passable "Tip Toe Through the Tulips" in my youth. Because of him, I had a pretty low opinion of the ukulele until you started playing one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All ukulele's are not created equal. Some sound like toys you might find in a cracker. Some are gorgeous, with beautiful, resonant tone.

      It also depends what kind of thing you play on it...

      Delete
  2. Oh. My. Ghod. Some things from the Sixties serve only to remind us how silly a lot of it was. Tiny Tim was painfully,,,,odd. Kelley no doubt can tell you about, especially the sad and ludicrous marriage to "Miss Vicky." (Shudder)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's sad and ludicrous I don't need to know!

      Delete