Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Man Booker Prize 2012 Shortlist

The Man Booker Prize 2012 shortlist was announced while I was still asleep. In the running for this year's juicy ₤50,000 prize are:

I've only read one, Mantel's Bring up the Bodies, which I enjoyed. (It's a sequel to Wolf Hall--which of course won the prize in 2009. Another novel about Thomas Cromwell.)

The thing I like is that there are three women and three men. And although four are British, one is Malaysian and one Indian. Also, Tan Twan Eng is a first-dan aikido player, which makes me feel kindly disposed towards his book, which is published by a small press, as is Alison Moore's. (Small independent presses are, in my opinion, a Good Thing.)

Another interesting factoid, of the books I know something about, all are written by a man from the viewpoint of a woman, or by a woman from a man's perspective. Make of that what you will.

According to the Man Booker website, "The winner of the 2012 prize will be announced at a dinner at London’s Guildhall on Tuesday 16 October, in a ceremony covered by the BBC. Each of the six shortlisted writers is awarded £2,500 and a specially commissioned beautifully handbound edition of his/her book." I'd like one of those.
This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print