Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Jeepster

I have a new toy:


A ukelele made by a friend, Karina. And, trust me, it was a complete surprise. (Though apparently Kelley was in on the plot.)


But it's a very happy surprise. I had no idea I was yearning to get back to music until I tried this out. I'm calling it Jeepster, because of its decoration (also by  the multi-talented Karina).


I suspect that over the next months I will drive those I love, plus a few neighbours, batshit crazy with my amateur plinking. After ten minutes with it, I know it's going to be a lot easier to play than a guitar. So maybe it won't be too long before I'm driving you all crazy with it, too, bringing YouTube to its knees...

Anyone out there have any notion of how the music of Jeep might sound?

Print

12 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just the photos, but that uke looks big. Is it a baritone or just a standard ukulele?

    As for how it might sound, I offer this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not big--just perfectly proportioned :) (Honestly? I've no clue if it's non-standard size. I have nothing to compare it with.)

      And I'm guessing the music of Jeep (the world of Ammonite) would be a thing of minor keys...

      Delete
    2. James, apparently the size is somewhere between a 'concert' and a 'tenor', so you're right, it is a wee bit bigger than usual.

      (So thanks for that. I'm learning something new every half an hour...)

      Delete
  2. What a cool ukulele!

    Minor keys sounds about right. Looking forward to the videos...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dog has fleas. Fleas has my dog. That has something to do with how you tune it, but it's been so long, I forget what. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the strings are G C E A. Not sure how that fits wIth fleas and dogs...

      Delete
  4. On Jeep, only the blues will do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, will take Art's advice on how to play the blues...

      Delete
  5. This is one trend I really don't get. Never cared much for ukes, but I admire people who play them well. They occupy a similar space in my esthetic to accordions. But I do wish you endless hours of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way until I got this one. The point isn't to make beautiful ukulele music, for me it will be to have something that help me back into music and into sharing music with others. It's a social tool as much as anything, I think.

      Delete
    2. Cool. And it is a beautiful instrument.

      Delete
    3. Even prettier in person. And custom made for me, size and everything :) Soon I will learn to play it!

      Delete