Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"Plainly a fact": ebook territories

From: Michaela, Czech Republic

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude for enlarging a row of female writers or even writers writing about gay characters in not so soapy environment. It is always a pleasure to read such books.

I purchased a hardcopy of your book, The Blue Place, and although I wasn't so keen about some specific features (no, not really about great sex scenes which it is usual to criticise, lol), I found its language to be very flowery. Later I was lucky to discover an extract of your first work, Ammonite, and liked it immediately. At least judging from what I could read, it is a science fiction, it has a female protagonist who isn't childish and doesn't lean towards to being saved all the time and same goes for another characters. And it is written by a woman. Just mmm.

It is a shame its electronic version is restricted in certain regions where I happen to live. I am not a fan of piling up hardcopies (thus I am planning to share this book with a public library), so I can just hope that I will have the wonderful opportunity to read it on my e-book reader one day.

I don't complain about anything, I understand it is plainly a fact, I just wanted to express one reader's feelings and wishes over your books.

Good luck with your work.

PS. I wish this won't sound too awkward, but many thanks to Kelley Eskridge for making e-Solitaire worldwide available happened. I can't wait for the release.

I think that's first time anyone has accused me of being flowery. Usually, the prose of the Aud books is labelled 'steely' or 'brutal'. So, hey, a first!

I've noticed that many (by no means all) of my readers fall into two camps: those who prefer my SF novels, Ammonite and Slow River, and those who prefer Aud. I wonder how readers of both camps will like the novel I'm working on now, which is neither an Aud novel nor a science fiction novel, but which employs some of the techniques of both.

The inability to get books in certain regions (whether print or digital) drives me up the wall. I've been wondering for a while how to release my novels worldwide as ebooks--but given the horrendous complications of territorial rights, I honestly don't know how to make that happen right now. It's a sad puzzle. A serious problem, actually: I hate losing sales.

Talking about Kelley on this blog is never awkward. In fact, it gives me the opportunity to talk about the re-launch of Solitaire by Small Beer Press. (Go read the Solitaire page on their website: full of info, the new cover, a new photo of Kelley, and a pre-order link for the paperback and DRM-free PDF of the book--you can read it anywhere in the world. I'm assuming it'll be available in Kindle and other formats from big retailer websites after publication, though I don't actually know.) Solitaire is a great book. Small Beer are a fabulous press. I expect the combination will be powerful enough to create new life...

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print