Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Average use of media per day: 11 hours

From eMarketer (via Dear Author) a short but meaty--and fascinating--examination of time "consumers spend with all major media, regardless of multitasking or simultaneous usage, from 2008 to 2010."

Bottom line, here's how we (I'm assuming US consumers) spend our major media time:

TV/video: 4 hrs 24 mins
online: 2 hrs 35 mins
radio:
mobile: 50 mins

The percentage of the time we spent with TV/video is about the same over the three years surveyed, but mobile use is increasing rapidly (and is more than the view/consumption of newspapers and magazines combined). I'm sure it will surprise no one to discover that digital media use is accelerating at the expense of everything else.

I shouldn't be surprised, but was, to find that we spend around 11 hrs a day with our heads stuck in media world.

I'm astonished we're still mostly sane.

Or are we?

I feel a sudden and urgent need to go to the park...
This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print