Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Cheerleaders in football uniforms: gender transgression on Glee

Kelley and I started watching Glee a few days ago. The first few eps, for me, were a time for pleasant, brightly-coloured zoning out. But then I started to get the hang of it: lots of zingers under the perkiness and spangles.

Last night we watched episode 7, "Throwdown." Jane Lynch got to have fun, as usual. But nothing terribly out of the ordinary--the zingers just a tad more close to the bone, perhaps. Then, sudden gear change: cheerleaders in football uniforms, dancing around a cheerleader in a cheerleading uniform. I sat up. Blinked.

Kelley and I looked at each, raised our eyebrows. Talk about smooth, delicious, under-the radar gender transgression. Or am I hopelessly old-fashioned? Did anyone else even notice this? Or has everyone on the planet noticed but I just didn't notice them noticing?

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print