Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Awards, Woolf, momentous events and useless facts

At some point soon I'll start talking about of-the-moment stuff, but a lot happened out In The World while I was away so I thought some of you might like a book-related recap of some of the things that struck me.

From Mike Shatzkin's Idea Logical Blog comes news of a benchmark event in publishing. There's going to be a lot more of it. I think this is the most fluid I've ever seen the industry. Exciting times.

The Nebula Awards were announced.

And the Lambda Literary Awards. (I need to get me one of those nifty gold badge things. Though, umph, they look a bit lopsided to me. Is it just me?) I find award lists handy for potential reading material. I hope you find something too.

Want to know what Virgina Woolf sounds like? She sounds, well, creepy and weird, but I'm guessing most of that is a product of her milieu and the technology. (Odd to think of tone and timbre as cultural artefacts, as well as accents.) Timmi, over at Aqueduct, ran this clip of Woolf reading from her own work:

Oh, and while we're on video, here's something from The Cliks, "Dirty King."

Nope, it's nothing to do with publishing but I got the link from j.s. over at the Yahoo group I run, so it's kind of (oh, okay, not very) connected. It turns out that The Cliks have just gone through a big lineup change, so don't get too attached...

And, finally, here's a useless fact: more than 5% of this blog's traffic is now coming from mobile platforms, e.g. iPhone, iPad, Blackberry. If you're one of those users, drop me a line and let me know how this blog works on those platforms--what would you change?

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print