Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

white readers

I'm white. Most of you reading this are white. How many of you read books by black writers? If the thought is a new one, but you're intrigued, visit White Readers Meet Black Writers (via Follow The Reader--thanks, Charlotte).

I've never really paid much attention to the colour of the writer of the books I read--which means, of course, that I don't read much fiction by people of colour. Like 'lesbian novels', fiction by POC is usually stuck in its own tiny section at the back of the bus store. Unless it's a huge hit (Tipping the Velvet, Middle Passage), no one from Straight White World sees it.

So what good books--let's stick to fiction for now, any genre--by writers of colour would you (and I mean all of you, of every colour, sexuality, sex and gender) like to recommend to other readers of this blog? I can definitely recommend The Known World, by Edward P. Jones, the story of blacks owning blacks in the antebellum south. Ash by Malinda Lo (coming in September), a retelling of Cinderella. Just about everything by Octavia Butler.

How about you?

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print