Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2008

more tipping

A quick addition to my earlier post. I've just read in The Advocate that Gov. Deval Patrick is set to sign a bill that will allow gay couples who live outside Massachusetts to marry in the state: "A spokesman for the governor says the signing ceremony will take place at noon Thursday in the Statehouse. The change in the law will take effect immediately because the Legislature attached a provision waiving the customary 90-day waiting period."

and

That Daniel Craig has signed on to portray a bisexual Roman emperor in an upcoming film. The Advocate says, "Hadrian, who ruled the Roman Empire from 117 to 138 A.D, allegedly had an affair with a teenage Greek boy, Antinuos, while married." Ha. Yes, technically Hadrian (2nd century AD) was bisexual; he was married; Emperors had to marry. But Hadrian was insanely (I use the word advisedly) in love with Antinous. Their relationship being characterised as an 'affair' feels dismissive--though again, technically correct. (Or is it? I forget how much we do or don't actually know about Hadrian. I think I know because I've read Yourcenar and she is so very authoritative.) When Antinous died, Hadrian had him declared a god (just like Alexander did with Hephaistion) and founded a city in his name.



But still, how cool that Daniel Craig will play him. Wonder who they'll cast as the pretty boy Antinous? (Anyone else remember Tony Curtis as a similar pretty boy character--Antoninus, I think--in Spartacus?)

Perhaps it's time to reread Fire from Heaven (Mary Renault) and Memoirs of Hadrian (Marguerite Yourcenar) and rewatch Spartacus. Now if someone would just write some way-back-when historical stuff with lesbians-- Oh, wait, that's what I'm doing...

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print