Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

fanfic

From: an inquiring mind

i am such a fan of the aud series. i've read both "the blue place" and "stay" multiple times and with each reading, i gain new appreciations about the depth of the characters in each book. however, i've often wondered (warning -- spoiler ahead): what would aud be like today if julia had survived? if the bullet hadn't done so much internal damage, or if aud had made a slightly different split-second decision.

have you considered creating a parallel series, one in which aud's bashert survives the last paragraphs of the first novel, sorta like those choose-your-own-adventure books from the '80s?


Oh no, no no, that's not the author's job, that's the reader's job: to play with what is and make an imaginary Other Possibility. It's called daydreaming. Or, if you write it down, fanfic. Many writers seriously disapprove of fanfic. I don't. I disapprove of people other than the copyright holder trying to make money from others' extant worlds and/or characters, but I frankly love the notion that someone cares for my work so much they spend time trying to extend the story. So if you want to write Bashert: A What-If Aud Story, go right ahead. Just don't try to make any money from it or I'll send Aud over for a little chat.

If I'd been born in the 1980s or '90s, I imagine I would have learnt how to write with fanfic: Xena and Buffy ripoffs. When I was nine I was stealing ideas from the Norse sagas and historical fiction I read, writing stories of grim-faced warriors with swords and horses and dogs (the sword, horse, and dog always had names; the warrior never did). Terry Brooks' Shannara books are Lord of the Rings clones. We all learn by imitation. We should all be gloriously free to play.

This blog has moved. My blog now lives here: http://nicolagriffith.com/blog/

Print